March 3, 2011

When I was in hospital...

Remember I was admitted to hospital during Chinese New Year? Well, let me tell you the story of how that happened...

I had been having fever on and off since the 2nd day of CNY. It would come and go, especially at night. My fever even went up to 39 degrees. Anyway, since everytime I had fever, the doctor would advise us to come back again after 3 days if the fever had not subsided. So this time, Mummy and Daddy waited until the 3rd day (which was the 4th day of CNY) and then brought me to see the doctor. The doctor said that if we were worried, he would do a blood test and let us know the results later that day. So Mummy and Daddy said it would be better. Of course I screamed the place down while the doctor was taking my blood. After that, we went home.

About 2 to 3 hours later, around lunch time, the doctor called Mummy's mobile phone. He then told Mummy that I was confirmed to have dengue fever. I don't think Mummy had ever heard such bad news about me before. He then said that I had to be admitted to hospital and I was to be brought in that afternoon itself.

At 2 pm, Mummy and Daddy checked me in to the hospital. They pricked my hand again to insert the drip later on, so that made me very cranky again. Daddy and Nanna had to pacify me while Mummy did the admission paperwork since we would be claiming the insurance given by Mummy's company. Mummy requested for a private room but unfortunately they were all taken so we had to take the 2-bedded room instead.

After the paperwork was done, we went upstairs to the pediatric ward. When I saw the playroom, my crankiness was all gone! There were slides, toy houses and other toys for the kids to play with. I immediately insisted that I wanted to go in. However, the drip attached to my hand hampered my movement so Daddy or Mummy had to help me. Sometimes I forgot and started running and they quickly had to stop me, otherwise the drip would topple over.



They even had a little sink inside the house :)



When I was in hospital, I had to eat hospital food. As you can see, I was not impressed.



But food is still food, I guess - cannot waste! :p Anyway, Ah Mah, Nanna and everyone who came to visit brought me nice food to eat.



This was the small slide and there was a bigger slide too for bigger children.



The government officials came to the hospital because they had to report it. They wanted to know our address so that they could go and investigate and fog the place. Daddy gave them both our house address as well as Ah Mah's house since I am there most of the time.

It was not an easy 4 days, 3 nights for us in the hospital. I was cranky the first few days because of the drip, and they also placed a heplock in my other hand so that the doctor could draw blood easier instead of having to prick me all the time. In the end, both my hands were bandaged so I couldn't really use them much. The first few days, every time I saw the doctor I would cry because I knew he was coming to prick me! Around the 3rd day, I got used to the place and became quite friendly towards the doctor and the nurses. So when I went home, everybody said bye bye to me. The doctor even gave me the "bear-bear" from his stethoscope since I liked it so much.

After that incident, Daddy and Mummy have been paranoid about mosquito bites. They bought all the mosquito patches and sprays for me to use. The smell is not very pleasant, though.

Anyway, I am just happy that I am all well now and thanks to all of you for your prayers and well wishes.

2 comments:

  1. The food looks like adult food. They do not have kid's food which the cut to edible size ar? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food was not appetising nor kid-friendly at all. There was one time when they even served curry! And this was the pediatric ward. Even I had better food during my post-delivery stay :p

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin