November 3, 2010

Longan jelly

Being the lousy cook that I am, I made a very simple snack over the weekend - longan jelly! :) I did not make the usual soya-based jelly that is usually used for longan jelly, since hubby cannot take soya, so I used the normal clear agar-agar instead.

This is one recipe that probably cannot go wrong, since it is very simple to make. First, I put the longans in cups. I did not use sugar in the jelly, and instead subsituted it with some of the syrup from the longans. I did not want to make it too sweet, as Hannah would be eating it, and too much sugar is not good for babies and toddlers.

After boiling the jelly powder, syrup and water in a pot on a low fire, the mixture is then poured over the longans in the cups. After letting it cool, put it in the fridge and it's done!



Look at how Hannah enjoys her "lee" (that is what she calls jelly :p). I gave her a cup and and spoon since she mostly insists on eating herself nowadays.



Once she discovered she could not really get much jelly on the spoon, in went her whole hand!



And now the other hand as well. What a mess on her face :) She was watching TV as well which is why she looking towards that direction.



And there goes the jelly into her mouth. Once she reached the bottom where the longans were, we helped her break it into smaller pieces so she could eat the longan.



I am glad that she enjoyed even a simple snack like this, even thought I don't really cook. Perhaps I should learn more simple recipes, because seeing your child enjoy what you make for them is really satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin