March 13, 2009

Quickening

We were a bit worried this morning when Baby didn't move. It was rather unlike her usual pattern whereby she wakes up very early in the morning and kicks me all over. This morning she was very quiet and still, even after I had taken my breakfast.

Driving to work in the car, we were discussing her movement patterns and remembered the first time we both felt her kick. The doctor said that the baby should move at about18 to 20 weeks but by then I still had not felt anything. However, this is normal for first time moms. So anyway, I lay down on the bed and Baby's Daddy put his ear on my belly. After a few seconds, Baby gave a huge kick and Hubby was so surprised. I told him jokingly that Baby doesn't like his big face crushing her :) We were so glad that we could feel Baby's first movement together.

During this pregnancy, Hubby and I have been doing a lot of research on the internet about the way my pregnancy is developing and we found out that Baby's first movement is called "quickening". According to the Oxford English Dictionary, to "quicken" means "to reach the stage of pregnancy at which the child shows signs of life." (Source: Wikipedia). In other words, it's the first time that you can feel your baby move.

Anyway, back to this morning, as we were sitting in the car, Baby's Daddy was getting more worried as the time went on because she still had not moved. Then just before we reached his office, she suddenly gave a huge kick to Mummy's belly. I told Hubby that Baby kicked just for him before he went to work so that he would not worry :) Thereafter she seemed to go back to sleep. Baby's waking and sleeping patterns must be changing, but it's nothing to worry about as long as she moves throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin